Wycombe are relative newcomers to the EFL. They won promotion from the Conference in 1993, then immediately won a second promotion to League 1. 3 relegations and 3 promotions saw them see-saw between League’s 1 & 2 until, in 2021, they were promoted to the Championship for the first time. The stay in the Championship was a short one during a covid-affected season. Wycombe were relegated in their first season – one point behind Derby, who then went into administration. Wycombe considered legal action to recoup potential losses of up to £20 million.
Behind the scenes, the club was taken over by The Wycombe Wanderers Trust (supporter owned) in 2012, and Gareth Ainsworth took over as player-manager soon afterwards. The club was recently taken over by Rob Couhig, whose company bought a 75% stake. The club is still partly fan-owned – the Wycombe Wanderers Trust own the other 25% of the club.
The club has a great community feel and Adams Park is known as one of the best family-friendly grounds to visit.
The nickname ‘Chairboys’ comes from the tradition of chair-making in High Wycombe.
If you wondered about the ‘swan’ on their crest, Buckinghamshire, in Anglo-Saxon times was known for breeding swan for the King – the county flag and the arms of many Bucks towns (including High Wycombe) feature a swan. A swan has been on Wycombe’s crest for over 130 years.