Exeter play at The New Lawn on New Years Day. Here are a few things to know about ‘the Grecians’;
- Their home ground is St James’ Park (confusing for Newcastle United fans!) and they have played there since 1904.
- Mark Cooper’s dad, Terry, managed the club for 2 spells between 1988 and 1995. Alan Ball managed the club for 3 years in the 1990’s. Paul Tisdale is Exeter’s longest serving manager (between 2006 and 2018).
- FGR fans may remember 1st choice Exeter keeper, Jonny Maxted. Elliott Frear is a former Exeter City Academy graduate.
- Michael Jackson was made an honorary director of the club in 2002 and came to the club at the invitation of his friend and fellow club director, Uri Geller.
- Famous fans include Joss Stone, Adrian Edmondson, Noel Edmonds and Coldplay’s Chris Martin.
- Exeter is owned by its fans, the Exeter City Supporters Trust having bought a majority shareholding in the club in 2003.
- A turbulent financial time for the club ended when they drew Manchester United in the FA Cup 3rd round in 2005. They drew 0-0 at St James Park before losing 2-0 in the Old Trafford replay (Rooney and Ronaldo scoring the goals). Income from these 2 games was nearly £1 million and allowed the club to virtually clear its debts.
- Centre forward Ryan Bowman (12) is Exeter’s leading strike threat with 9 goals, followed by midfielders Nicky Law (8) and Lee Martin (7). Others to watch are centre back Gary Warren (16) and left back Dean Moxey (21).
- Bowman’s 11th minute goal defeated Rovers when the sides last played in October.