Who are the Cobblers?
- Northampton Town come to the New Lawn sitting 7th in the table, just in the play-off places. Last time out they suffered a 2-1 reverse at home to Mansfield after playing most of the game with 10 men.
- They are 9 points ahead of Rovers having played a game more.
- Their top marksmen are Andy Williams and Sam Hoskins (both with 8 goals). Hoskins is unlikely to be playing after being sent off in their last match.
- The nickname of the Cobblers reflects Northampton’s long association with the shoe-making industry and the club’s crest features a shoe at its centre.
- The club’s most memorable moments; promotion to the top tier of the football league in 1965 (they only lasted one season in the top flight); a record 8-2 loss to Manchester United in the FA Cup 6th round in 1970 (George Best scored 6 times in the match); beating Liverpool at Anfield in the Football League Cup in 2010 (winning on penalties after a 2-2 draw).
- Recent managers include Chris Wilder between 2014-16 (Wilder is now in charge of Sheffield United, of course) and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink between 2017-18.